About Throws

It's a post for Mr Harada regarding my thoughts about throws in Tekken.

The throw system is nearly perfect. Nearly... because I think it needs just a little adjustment to the new game as Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Unlimited.

Throws can be broken judging from the throw animation. The big (and quite unfair) exception are giant swings since their animation looks like 1+2-break throw. But it's not important in my post.

Advanced players already know that it's quite easy to conceal the throw animation by sidestepping in either direction. By the time the camera adjusts position, the throw is already in progress and in a resulting chaos, it's extremely difficult to tell one throw from another. Ducking is not an option because of the often-used tactic of sidestep->hopkick. Not to mention there are quickroll traps in which ducking is not possible at all (and the quickroll by itself changes camera angle).

With the better movement system of Tekken Tag 2, it will be much easier to sidestep and thus conceal the throw animation. We can already see in top level matches (Tekken Busters show) that top players don't break throws as frequently as they used to break.

Another thing is character customization. Some of the customizations available greatly conceal opponent's arms, so that it additionally makes it hard to see the throw animation.

Yet another argument for applying this change is the length of Tag combos. It's already frustrating for intermediate players to not be able to do anything in the process of being juggled. I don't think that the difficulty of breaking throws should add up to the already high level of frustration. Tekken should be above all else: enjoyable. Make breaking throws easier so that breaking them will be accessible to a larger amount of players (and so bringing more fun to them), and people won't feel chickened by throw abuse.

It also concerns online gameplay and throws being considered "cheap". Throws should be easier to break because of this.

My suggestion

I wanted for a long time a distinctive, unique shout that would always accompany the certain throw execution. Eg. Law would shout "hiya" with left-hand throw, "hugh!" with right-side throw and "seiyaa" with both-hands throw. It's only and example.

This way:
- it would be easier to break throws when there's havoc on the screen
- it still requires reflexes!
- it still would make a player think if opponent sidestepped deep enough for the throw to become a side throw (and so even though the throw would normally have a "rp" break, the deep sidestep would make it a "lp" break since the throw became a side-throw.
- to add difficulty, the shout should start at the beginning of the throw animation, not at the beginning of the "extend arms" animation.

Please make it happen!

This post was edited by Tenshimitsu (2012-07-25 10:10, 8 years ago)