Minasan, akemashite omeditou gozaimasu! -happy new year everyone

It seems that alcohol is a common theme! lol.

People in my part of the UK are pretty traditional about celebrating the New Year. Especially in my (very small and somewhat depleated) family we like to see the year in together rather than say, go out to an all-night party in a night club. In fact, I can't think of anything I would less like to do on New Year's eve, but that's just me.

I usually start at my sister's place, this year we had a few glasses of wine and played on the Wii (I came last at everything as usual). We then walk around to my Grandma's house (most of my family live on the same estate, though I don't) where my uncle and his wife are usually waiting for us too. We always have a first foot which is either my uncle or my sister's husband (though it was my boyfriend one year!!). They say the luckiest fist foot is a tall dark-haired man, but there arent many of those in my family so we make do.

Oh about the first foot, I'm not sure if this is a wide-spread custom or just a Northern England thing but the first foot is also meant to carry a piece of coal into the house (anyone know if its just us mad geordies who do this???). Gift shops around the coast here sell little carved statues of animals and things made from coal that can be carried by the first foot but I see them less and less so I think this custom is disappearing (just like most of our traditions:()

At midnight, after we've counted down and our first foot has come in, we, like most English speakers hold hands and sing Auld Lang Syne (means 'the good old days' for those who don't know it).

We then finally go to my Uncle's place where neighbours, friends and other relatives join us for party food, drinks and general festivities!!!

I made a new year's resolution this year too as well as a new years wish (I am silly I know but I believe if I make a wish and a resolution, and I stick to my resolution, my wish will come true).

So erm... that's New Year in Jembru land!!!

xxx